Thursday, January 10, 2013

Starting Fresh

In March 2012 when Toto was only 6 months old, I still felt foggy and out of it--I still didn't feel "like myself." I was in that new mom phase, trying to find a balance between working, being with Toto, being a good wife to The Shark, and finding time for myself. Of course, I am still working on that everyday, but now that Toto is 16 months, I feel a little more balanced and a little more like my old type-A self. 

However, having a baby has forced me to take it down a notch or two on the old intensity scale--I did say only a notch or two, I still love planning, checking things off my list, getting more things done than I should. But if Toto dumps her toys everywhere, smears my clothes with avocado, or interrupts my list making, I can let it go. Moments with her are just too precious. And with amazing Yaya, I can find time to take care of myself and spend quality time with The Shark. 

Last year I decided to make a list of ongoing goals instead of one resolution. Tried to choose things that would help myself, my family, and others. I think I did pretty good.

1. Bake cupcakes and frosting from scratch each month. I managed to make cupcakes several times, but not every month. My two biggest undertakings were for  a friend's 2-year old's party and Toto's 1-year bash. My favorite and easiest cupcake to make is the vegan chocolate cupcake.



2. Run a marathon. While I had originally considered The Cam Sur or Singapore Marathon, I ended up running the Bangkok Marathon in November. Our trip to Bangkok turned out to be one of our best mini-vacations ever, and it didn't hurt that I checked off a major life goal while there. My time was 5hr 18 mins, not what I had hoped for, but not bad considering the training conditions in Manila, working full time, and having a 14-month old. You can read the details here.

3. Throw Toto a blow-out first birthday.  I initially intended to pay someone to orchestrate Toto's entire birthday, but I realized I wanted it to be personal and special, so I took care of most of the details myself. The child loves water, so I went with a beach theme.





4. Make some baby food from scratch.  Now that Toto is eating mainly solid food, it is becoming a little more challenging to keep up a varied and fresh diet for her. I mainly cook her turkey burgers (organic from Healthy Options), veggie noodles, squash, carrots, tofu, brocoli, fish, rice, quinoa, pancakes, and chicken. She also loves mango, avocado, cheese, and bananas, which are so easy. 

5. Read 1 book a month.  Crap! I only managed to read seven books. Steve Jobs, Bringing up Bebe, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, Wild, The Sex Lives of Cannibals, Born to Run, and White Lilies in Autumn. Any recommendations for my reading list in 2013?

6. Spend quality time with The Shark and Toto - together and separate.  The Shark and I make it a point to go out to eat at least once a week. We keep a list of restaurants to try (recent winners: The Wine Depot, Pipino Vegetarian, and Caruso) so we don't go to Apartment 1B every time. The weekends are mainly Toto time, except for a couple hours each day to get a massage, go to yoga, or go for a run. On occasion we leave Toto for the day to try something new and exciting, but the guilt is almost too much. Because - that face!

7. Do/Say Something Nice Everyday. This continues to be a challenge for me. My job is tedious and by the end of the day my patience is worn thin (until I see Toto of course, then I can't even remember what I do for a living). In December we helped a women's group purchase several sewing machines - I am kinda hoping that made up for missing this goal on many occasions?

8. Practice Yoga at Least Once a Week.  I started doing yoga in 2002 when I moved home after college.  My dad and I did Bikram's every week and I got into awesome shape before my wedding.  Since then I have done yoga in every city I have lived--Albuquerque, Denver, DC, Kigali, and now Manila.  In March 2012 I got back into yoga after a 6 month hiatus.  I actually kept up my practice all throughout my pregnancy, but had trouble finding a studio (and time) once I arrived in Manila. Someone recommended Bliss Yoga - and it is awesome. I take a Jivamukti class every Sunday - helps calm me after a long week and get me ready for the one ahead.

Up next: 2013 goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment