Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Kid Recipe: Apple Sauce

Apple sauce is so easy to make and tastes so much better than the jarred stuff.  Not to mention it is a lot cheaper to make it yourself.  I just peeled and chopped 4 big Fuji apples, added 1 cup of water, some lemon peel, the juice of 1 lemon, 1 cinnamon stick and a little brown sugar (next time I will probably go sugar free), brought it to a boil, then simmered for 30 minutes.  Afterwards, I used a potato masher to, well, mash it.  Delicious with vanilla ice cream (for me) or on pancakes (for Toto).
The best baby food storage method I have found is to cook big batches on the weekend - chop mangoes, bake squash, roast carrots, pan fry turkey, boil noodles - then cool and freeze in these 6.5 ounce Libbey bowls I get from Amazon.  According to the Libbey website the lids are BPA-free (god knows what other chemicals are there, but the food rarely even touches the lid).
My other great food storage method is a second fridge.  I had to beg my employer a bit for this one, but it was SO worth it.  Now I can store (hoard) tortillas, bread, baby food, berries, spinach, and all the other stuff that we would have to run to the store weekly to replenish.

1 comment:

Trisha said...

The applesauce sounds delicious honey. You are doing a great job feeding our Toto. I'm glad you got the other fridge to save you some time. Love, Mom

Post a Comment